Happy New Year to all our followers!
Welcome back from the long Christmas break, we all hope you had a nice time despite the rainy and windy weather.
Officers at Warwickshire County Council have been busy setting priorities for the coming year and we wanted to share some of these with you:
- We are finalising the refresh of Warwickshire’s Living Well with Dementia Strategy for the next 3 years to support people with dementia and their carers, who live in Warwickshire. The key objectives within the strategy will be:
– Raising Awareness and Understanding of dementia
– Provision of Timely Diagnosis and Support
– Living Well with Dementia through the provision of a wide range of community support services including support to carers
– Living Well with Dementia in acute/residential/housing with care setting
– Developing an informed and effective workforce across all services;
When this have been approved (expected by spring 2016) we will be publishing the re-freshed strategy on our living well with dementia portal: www.livingwellwithdementia.org
- Warwickshire County Council and partners (such as Coventry City Council, Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership Trust, health services providers and voluntary sector agencies) will be raising awareness of dementia during this year’s Dementia Awareness Week in May, encouraging local service providers to showcase their offer of support available to citizens of Warwickshire;
- We will be looking at developing a new Dementia and Arts pilot exploring the positive effects that arts activity can have for people living with different forms and stages of Alzheimer’s and dementia;
- We will be working closely with the provider market, customers and carers to scope out and develop an improved local offer of Extra Care Housing for people with dementia.
- Coventry and Warwickshire Dementia Action Alliance will be progressing their priority areas for 2016 to increase the number of dementia friendly communities in Warwickshire. These priority areas are: transport, GPs, dentists, opticians, banks and retail market. Through the work of the Coventry and Warwickshire Dementia Action Alliance we will continue to work towards supporting development of more Dementia Friendly Communities and encouraging more individuals to become Dementia Friends.
- We will work towards increasing the number of Dementia Friends in Warwickshire to 20,000 by the end of 2018;
- We will work towards improving diagnosis rates and post diagnosis support offer, and improve access to co-ordinated but personalised advice, information, care and support. All people diagnosed with dementia will be receiving a Post Diagnostic Pack including a range of awareness raising and signposting resources helping them to find support during all stages of their diagnosis and post diagnosis journey;
- We will be improving the interactivity of the Coventry and Warwickshire Living Well with Dementia Portal (livingwellwithdementia.org);
- We will aim to further promote and increase sign up from health and care organisations to Warwickshire’s Dementia Workforce Vision and Pledge;
- We will work with GP practices in Warwickshire to offer dementia awareness training for their reception staff.
It is estimated that there are currently 7,615 people in Warwickshire living with dementia. This number will increase by approximately 34% to just over 11,000 in the next ten years. By increasing awareness and understanding of dementia and developing a wider offer of support available we can make a real difference to improving the lives of people living with dementia and also support those who care for them.
For more details please contact Ewa Niepsuj on firstname.lastname@example.org
 Extra Care Housing is also known as assisted living or housing with care. People who live in Extra Care Housing have their own self-contained homes, their own front doors and a legal right to occupy the property, with varying levels of care and support available on site 24 hours. You can find out more about Extra Care Housing option is Warwickshire here. http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/extracare